Monday, September 29, 2008

Bailout: A New Perspective


“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” FDR

These days, it is hard for me to remember that both my husband and I have jobs, a comfortable house, more than enough food to eat, healthcare when we need it, safe, drinking water, electricity on demand, and the freedom to worship where and when we wish. We live better than 98% of the world’s population.

So, why get on board the worry train with politicians and the media? I can easily tie myself in knots over the state of the economy, the “bailout,” the stock market, the cost of gas and food, or whatever is the “worry du jour.” Then, I need to be reminded to look at these nagging concerns, fears and anxiety for what they really are: distraction. They keep me from focusing on what is really important in life.

The only bailout I need to think about is the one that happened about 2000 years ago on a hill outside Jerusalem. I’m not sticking my head in the sand, nor minimizing the very real pain many people are experiencing because of the economy, but I am trying to teach myself not to hit the panic button with every news report. I am choosing to lean on God, and trust His promises. Most importantly, I am working on my response to worry: no blood-pressure-rising knee-jerks, but steady, unfailing obedience to God’s purpose for me. My bailout involves walking by faith, rather than by sight, or fright.

Who am I?

When God called Moses to go to Pharaoh and demand freedom for His people, Moses replied, "Who am I that I should go?"

Who am I? A busy person with a job, and a house and a husband and two cats.

Who am I? A mom and grandma and sister and friend.

Who am I? A writer, a photographer, a nurse, a Mission Team leader.

Who am I? An ordinary person like you. Yet God has called me. Perhaps you have also heard His call.

These writings are my musings about the life God has called me to live. I hope you will find hope, encouragement, perhaps a smile in them, along with the love God has for you in the purpose of your life. Write and tell me your thoughts.