Monday, August 25, 2008

HEAV’N BEFORE US

While I was driving I noticed a license plate on the car ahead of me. It read “HEAV’N.” Am I glad I’m not in that car, I thought to myself. He has heaven behind him and I have heaven ahead of me. All day, I thought about life with heaven before me. Like driving, living with heaven before us involves certain rules of the road.

Stay within the speed limit. Life has both difficult and easy-going times. By racing through them, we lose the opportunity for the growth that accompanies challenges and the peace that comes with contentment. Learning to pace ourselves means living each day as it comes, neither borrowing trouble from tomorrow nor resting on yesterday’s accomplishments.

Do not cut off people, or pass them by. Being available to others requires us to give every moment and opportunity to God for the work of His kingdom. Listen to Him first, then to those who come in need of answers or help. Never hesitate to detour when someone asks for assistance.

Obey the rules. I would have had a difficult time following the car with “heav’n” on its license plate, if the driver had been weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, running stoplights, or leaving the road. Even though Paul reminds us we are not under the law but grace, we still have certain rules to guide everyday living so that we can arrive at our destination safely. Lead others with your actions. Telling them about God’s love is not nearly as effective as showing them.

Always wear your seat belt, or, as Paul wrote the Christians at Ephesus, gird yourselves with the belt of truth. Without the map found in Holy Scriptures, we can easily lose our way. The wise traveler recognizes the necessity of consulting the directions frequently, especially when the terrain is unfamiliar or challenging.

Let God take the wheel of your life. When I am driving, I know the way; I take the shortcuts; I know when and where to stop. With God in control, we sometimes go the long way, up hills, through tunnels and valleys, across bridges. He may go too fast or too slow for me and when I say, “Stop,” He often urges me to go just a little farther. As I learn to trust God at the wheel, I can concentrate on the adventure of the journey rather than the potholes ahead.

How do we live with heaven before us? Every morning as you climb into your car, ask God to take control of the wheel, the direction of the day, and the opportunities along the way.

Who am I?

When God called Moses to go to Pharaoh and demand freedom for His people, Moses replied, "Who am I that I should go?"

Who am I? A busy person with a job, and a house and a husband and two cats.

Who am I? A mom and grandma and sister and friend.

Who am I? A writer, a photographer, a nurse, a Mission Team leader.

Who am I? An ordinary person like you. Yet God has called me. Perhaps you have also heard His call.

These writings are my musings about the life God has called me to live. I hope you will find hope, encouragement, perhaps a smile in them, along with the love God has for you in the purpose of your life. Write and tell me your thoughts.